Sparta returns to Bi-State for the first time since 2007.
The 2015 edition features 184 ranked wrestlers, 58 teams and 17 ranked teams. Some other stats regarding teams and individuals at the tournament…
- The top ranked teams in Wisconsin in division two (Ellsworth) and division three (Stratford) are competing. The highest ranked division one team is 2nd-ranked Hudson.
- There are 12 wrestlers ranked #1 in their weight classes including some weight classes with more than one. Those with more than one top-ranked wrestler include 132, 152 and 195.
- There are 13 wrestlers ranked #2 in their weight class with 132 and 145 seeing two 2nd-ranked wrestlers.
- The toughest weight class appears to be 132 pounds with 17 ranked wrestlers including two top-ranked wrestlers and two second-ranked wrestlers. 285 has 16 ranked wrestlers.
- Three ranked teams from Minnesota will be competing at Bi-State. They include Eastview (ranked 12th AAA/D1), Lakeville South (HM, AAA/D1) and Goodhue (HM, A/D3).
Freshman Jon Bailey will be one of the favorites to come away with the 106 or 113-pound title. Bailey, ranked 5th in division one at 113 pounds, joins a bevy of highly ranked underclassmen at both weights.
At 132 pounds, 12th-ranked Christian Lamon is one of 17 ranked wrestlers. He joins Jaden VanMaanen (La Crosse Central), Trenton McManus (Adams-Friendship), Ryan Hannah (Viroqua), Jarret Dolata (Mauston) and Ethan Leis (Cashton) as ranked wrestlers from the area in Lamon’s bracket.
At 145 pounds, 2nd-ranked Jaden Winchel joins 4th-ranked Matt Koski of Hudson, 2nd-ranked Josh Donar of Cuba City and 2nd-ranked Sam Wenzel of Stratford as the highest ranked wrestlers in that weight class.
At 152 pounds, Sparta’s Hayden Krein is one of two top-ranked wrestlers in the bracket. The other is division two’s Devin Bahr of West Salem/Bangor. Bahr and Krein met at the Badger State Invite with Bahr handing Krein his second loss of the season 9-4 in the championship match.
Sparta’s Brett VonRuden will not be competing at this tournament along with Ryan Wisniewski as he continues to his way back to full health from an injury suffered earlier this year.
The last Spartan to win a Bi-State classic title was Jared Rickert in 2007. Rickert is now co-head coach of the Spartans along with Mike Roddick.
To see all the ranked wrestlers at this year’s tournament, click here.
Full list of participating teams is below…
Teams: Adams-Friendship, Athens, Auburndale, Baraboo, Belmont/Platteville, Bloomington Kennedy MN, Boscobel, Burlington, Caledonia/Houston MN, Cashton, Cuba City/Benton/Southwestern, D.C. Everest, De Soto, Dodgeville, Eastview MN, Ellsworth, Goodhue MN, Hillsboro, Holmen, Hudson, Independence/Gilmanton, Iowa-Grant/Highland, Ithaca/Weston, Kickapoo/LaFarge, La Crosse Central, La Crosse Logan, Lakeville South MN, Lancaster, Lewiston-Altura/Rushford-Peterson MN, Lodi, Luxemburg-Casco, Marshfield, Mauston, Middleton, Monroe, Mt. Horeb, Muskego, Nekoosa/Assumption/Port Edwards, New Lisbon, New Richmond, North Crawford/Seneca, Portage, Prairie du Chien/Wauzeka-Steuben, Pulaski, Richland Center, River Valley, Riverdale, Royall, South St. Paul MN, Sparta, Stillwater MN, Stratford, Tomah, Verona Area, Viroqua, Wausau West, West Salem/Bangor, Westby