Those of you who follow the wrestling team here, on Facebook, in the newspapers and on Trackwrestling probably know a lot about Spartan wrestler’s records, odds to get to the state tournament, their toughest opponents in the conference and more. However, do you know the least favorite subjects of these wrestlers? How about their wrestling role models? Dream car? Goals?
Well, we’re going to go beyond the numbers and provide some profiles of different athletes each week. Most weeks we’ll have one wrestler, but a few times we’ll have two. Our fist installment features Sparta’s 145-pounder Michael Murnane.
- Name: Michael Murnane
- Grade: Junior
- Wrestling highlight: Winning MVC championship two years in a row.
- Lessons learned: After wrestling, everything in life is easy.
- My most memorable moment in sports: Winning first place at a Sparta Youth Wrestling Tourney when I was little. One of the only times I got 1st until 8th grade.
- What I like about high school sports: It’s not about recruiting the best players and paying them to compete for you. It’s about the people that happen to be there and them trying to make the most out of what they have.
- I enjoy wrestling because: It doesn’t matter how big you are and through hard work you can accomplish your goals.
- Advice: Don’t give up, don’t cut yourself short and never settle for anything less than your best.
- My role model is: My coaches. I am surrounded by talented, hard working people who have taught me more than just how to be a good athlete.
- Most inspirational teammate: Kyle Burkhalter. Kyle and I have developed a strong bond over the years by constantly pushing each other in the weight room and competing to outdo one another.
- My family also includes: My parents Ray and Denise Murnane. My younger brother Samuel and my two older sisters Melissa and Rachel.
- Nickname: The Insane Murnane.
- Words to live by: Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
- Favorite athlete: Ray Lewis
- Favorite team: Green Bay Packers!
- Favorite opponent: Lodi
- Favorite movie: Pumping Iron
- Favorite television show: The Walking Dead
- Favorite food: Mom’s Mac and Cheese
- Favorite restaurant: El Vallarta
- Favorite sport on television: Football
- Favorite place to visit: New York City
- Top five songs on my iPod: “My Curse” by Killswitch Engage, “Freedom” by Rage Against the Machine, “So Far Away” by Staind, “Vox Populi” by 30 Seconds to Mars and “Words Darker than their Wings” by Alter Bridge.
- Favorite website: Hudl.com
- My ride: My mom’s minivan!
- Dream car: Caddilac CTS-V
- I can’t live without: Milk
- I like Sparta High School because: It’s so small so you know people pretty well
- If I could change anything: I would go back to freshman year and pick different classes that I needed.
- I wish we could compete against: Wisconsin Rapids
- I wish I could meet: Lenny Pepperbottom. How neat is that?
- Dream date: Long walks on the beach, watching the sunset
- Dream gift: Two tickets to the gun show
- My perfect day: The day all my goals are complete
- I like to read: Stack Magazine and “Uncommon Life” by Tony Dungy
- Most people don’t know this about me: I’m pretty good at art and drawing
- Hobbies: Guitar playing, being outdoors, paintballing
- Post-high school plans: Unsure, college wrestling hopefully, maybe military
- Career goals: Lead the team this season in takedowns, 1st team all-conference, state champion
Quality young man, proud to call him a Spartan Wrestler!
Begorra, Derek… say this is a great read and just awaiting more,,, super idea/action,, and who would expect anything less.
Great to know more about a Sparta Wrestler of 1st class!.
As always best of health and happiness.
Major Thomas J. Smith (Ret.)