In qualifying seven of eight sectional qualifiers for the state tournament, you might say Sparta had a great day in Richland Center. As the MVC’s only division two team, keeping tabs on the other conference teams is a little more difficult. Let’s see how they did this past weekend…
- Aquinas – Two qualifiers. Nick Burns at 106 and Jordan Corcoran at 126
- Holmen – Six qualifiers. Darius Wright at 126, Ryan Stalsberg at 132, Avery Hackett at 145, Duncan McKinney at 170, Noah Risch at 195 and Hunter Hauser at 285
- La Crosse Central – One qualifier. Ben Thornton at 113
- La Crosse Logan – No qualifiers
- Onalaska – No qualifiers
- Tomah – Three qualifiers. Jacob DuBord at 152, Jordan Reisinger at 182 and Lucas Stromberg-Windau at 220
So with seven state qualifiers, Sparta is leading the MVC contingent at the Kohl Center. Let’s check out a few other area teams…
- Adams-Friendship – Two qualifiers. Trenton McManus at 106 and Trevor McManus at 120
- Baraboo – Two qualifiers. Trevor Hansen at 106 and Kolt Bode at 145
- Black River Falls – One qualifier. Dillan Bunde at 220
- Chippewa Falls – One qualifier. Quinn Miracle at 120
- De Soto – Two qualifiers. Joe Obert at 120 and Cole Johnson at 285
- Eau Claire North – Two qualifiers. Justin Peterson at 106 and Tyler Deacon at 113
- Hillsboro – Two qualifiers. Spencer Treu at 160 and Max Sebranek at 182
- Lodi – Two qualifiers. Jason Clapper at 106 and Joe Conklin at 160
- Mauston – Three qualifiers. Spencer Davies at 126, Colin Dolata at 138 and Darly Waukau at 285
- Melrose-Mindoro/GET – Two qualifiers. Danny Dobbs at 182 and Jameson Kaiser at 285
- Neillsville/Greenwood/Loyal – Three qualifiers. Jared Boon at 120, Phillip Opelt at 126 and Michael Chadwick at 138
- Portage – Two qualifiers. Hunter Hayes (not the singer) at 120 and Spencer Shier at 285
- Prairie du Chien/Wauzeka-Steuben – Two qualifiers. Taylor Elliott at 106 and Clayton Beers at 113
- Reedsburg – Two qualifiers. Nate Erbs at 126 and Nick Noye at 220
- Viroqua – Three qualifiers. JJ McClelland at 113, Erik Vesbach at 152 and Clay Fitzpatrick at 170
- West Salem/Bangor – Two qualifiers. Alex Peters at 160 and Tyler Shrake at 182
- Westby – Two qualifiers. Ross Withington at 138 and Chase Nottestad at 220
- Weston/Ithaca – Six qualifiers. Hunter Dischler at 106, Stetson Clary at 126, Cody Willis at 152, Mason McCauley at 160, Wyatt Seep at 170 and Atticus Sharp at 195
- Wisconsin Rapids – Two qualifiers. Patrick Spray at 106 and Beau Thompson at 195
There are some very good teams in the mix above so for Sparta to exceed their accomplishments on an individual level is one they should be proud of. Yes, some paths to the Kohl Center are harder than others, but as Larry Mosley pointed out on the Sparta Wrestling Facebook page today, Sparta’s path to state was certainly the most difficult in the section. Here’s what Larry found out through some research this morning…
I want to put some additional perspective on this weekend…The teams that came out of the Adams-Frienship regional sent 17 wrestlers to the State Tournament. That is 40% (17 of 42) of the sectional qualifiers. The A-F regional will be represented at 13 of the 14 weight classes with 6 Regional Champions. This shows how tough it was just to get out of our regional.
Great job Coaches and Wresters!
The other regionals stack up like this: Dodgeville – 11 state qualifiers, Wisconsin Dells – 6 and Evansville/Albany – 8.
None of the remaining division two teams that will be competing at team state have more than the Spartans. Mauston has three, Luxemburg-Casco has six, Ellsworth has seven and Chilton/Hilbert has three.
Only Random Lake with nine qualifiers followed by Bayport, Burlington, Coleman and Kaukauna with eight have more qualifiers than the Spartans. Oconomowoc, Lancaster and Ellsworth all have seven apiece. That’s some pretty good company for Sparta to be in.