For the third time in four years, senior Hayden Krein will be competing in the state semifinals while fellow senior Brett Von Ruden still has a great shot at landing on the podium after he won his opening match, but then dropped a heartbreaking overtime match in the quarterfinals.
At 170 pounds, Hayden Krein breezed through his first two matches. His opening round match was a pin in 1:10 over Shawano Community’s Sam Tourtilott (21-15). That victory was followed by a 10-1 major decision win over Oak Creek’s Nolan Paar (44-3). Tourtilott was an honorable mention while Paar entered the tournament ranked sixth. Krein will now face undefeated Parker Keckeisen of Nicolet (30-0). Keckeisen was a state runner-up a year ago and defeated La Crosse Logan/Central’s Connor Williams in the semis in the 2017 state tournament.
Teammate Brett Von Ruden’s day started off with an 8-6 victory over Marshfield’s Nolan Hertel (29-7). In the quarterfinals, Von Ruden held the lead for much of the match against De Pere’s Max Bruss (42-4) before illness set in and sapped his energy. Von Ruden lead 5-3 in the third period before falling 7-5 in overtime. Hertel entered the tournament ranked sixth while Bruss is ranked third. Von Ruden will need to win his next two matches to earn a spot on the podium. His wrestleback will be against Oshkosh West’s Connor Collins (36-10).
Von Ruden will wrestle Friday morning in the round beginning at 10am while Krein will wrestle for a chance at his second state championship in the semifinal round beginning at 7pm Friday evening.
Around the MVC
Here is how MVC wrestlers did on the first day of the 2018 state tournament. Eight of Holmen’s 10 qualifiers are still alive with three of them in the semifinals. Tomah’s lone qualifier Dawson Lambert dropped his opening round match, but will have a wrestleback.
- 106 – Alex Pellowski lost 9-0 to Badger’s Beau LaDu. Pellowski will not have a wrestleback.
- 132 – Trevor Plomedeahl won his first match 9-0 against West Allis Nathan Hale’s Brandon Baltz before dropping a 5-0 decision to Janesville Craig’s Nate Ellis. Plomedahl will be wrestling back.
- 138 – Tanner Schultz won his first match by pin in 5:04 against Burlington’s Max Ehlen before dropping a 7-1 decision to Eau Claire North’s Mason Phillips. Schultz will be wrestling back.
- 145 – Zach Gordon lost 8-1 to Rhinelander’s Jacon DeMeyer and will be wrestling back.
- 160 – Reed Williams is onto the semifinals after winning his opening round match by technical fall over Marquette University’s Daniel Carter. He followed that up with a 9-4 win over West De Pere’s Evan Frisque.
- 170 – Kalyn Jahn is also onto the semis after easily winning his first two matches. His first round match was a technical fall victory over Hortonville’s Kirkland Hills while his quarterfinal match ended by pin in 1:31 over Kenosha Bradford/Reuther’s Jake Deates.
- 182 – Isaac Lahr is Holmen’s third and final state semifinalist. He did so by winning his first match over Neenah’s Isaiah McCormick via technical fall and followed that up with a 6-3 win in the quarterfinals over Kaukauna’s Bryson Alsteen.
- 195 – Kyle Burkhardt lost his opening round match to Waterford’s Jack Trautman III. He will have a wrestleback.
- 220 – Jack Westcott lost his first match to Oak Creek’s John Wright by a 5-2 score. He will not have a wrestleback.
- 285 – Jesse Fiers was pinned in just 39 seconds by River Falls’ Mitchell Williamson. He will have a wrestleback.
- 113 – Dawson Lambert dropped a 5-2 decision to Arrowhead’s Jack
Ganos. Ganos won his second match so Lambert will be wrestling back