Sparta takes on rivals Tomah tonight in a battle for second place in the MVC. After beating Sparta five straight times from the 2004-05 season through the 2008-09 season, the Spartans have beat the Timberwolves three straight times. Last year, the Spartans won 45-11, the year before 37-22 and in 2009-10 when they ended the Timberwolves’ string of five straight MVC titles, they won 41-20. This year’s dual should be closer than in years past, but I’m still giving the edge to Sparta. First, let’s look at how Tomah did against Holmen earlier this year.
|285||Hunter Hauser (Holmen) won by pin over Ryan Sutherland (Tomah) 1:00.|
|106||Ryan Bennett (Holmen) won by forfeit over Unknown (Unattached) .|
|113||Fue Yang (Holmen) won by pin over Katen Moser (Tomah) 1:18.|
|120||Jonah Rieber (Holmen) won by forfeit over Unknown (Unattached) .|
|126||Logan Pollack (Tomah) won by pin over Wyatt Anderson (Holmen) 3:37.|
|132||Darius Wright (Holmen) won by pin over Lucas DuBord (Tomah) 0:24.|
|138||Ryan Stalsberg (Holmen) won by tech fall over Dylan Hanson (Tomah) 3:41 18-3.|
|145||Avery Hackett (Holmen) won by decision over Patrick Cullen (Tomah) 3-1.|
|152||Jacob Dubord (Tomah) won by major decision over Logan Lasack (Holmen) 12-1.|
|160||Ben Linzmeirer (Tomah) won by decision over Nick Frana (Holmen) 8-6.|
|170||Tyler Westpfahl (Holmen) won by pin over Ryan Neal (Tomah) 4:24.|
|182||Jordan Reisinger (Tomah) won by decision over Duncan McKinney (Holmen) 11-7.|
|195||Noah Risch (Holmen) won by decision over Garrett Serna (Tomah) 5-2.|
|220||Lucas Stromberg Windau (Tomah) won by pin over Charles Serauskas (Holmen) 1:26.|
Holmen won this dual easily by a score of 47-22. However, in the dual against Tomah, Holmen had Noah Risch and Charles Serauskas. In the dual against Sparta, Holmen was missing these guys and they have won a ton of matches for the Vikings this year.
In other comprable duals, Tomah beat La Crosse Central 54-12. The Spartans beat Central 66-9. Finally, in the latest Wisconsin Wrestling Online rankings, Wittenberg-Birnamwood is ranked 6th, which is two spots behind the Spartans. Wittenberg-Birnamwood destroyed Tomah earlier this year by a 56-22 score. Now let’s look at some of the individuals…
- 106 – Patrick Adler, late start to the season, is currently unranked in the Wisconsin Wrestling Online polls but started out the year ranked 2nd in D1 at 106 and has fallen since,
- 113 – Katan Moser, 8-12 record, DNP at Bi-State, lost to Reedsburg’s Wyatt Rabuck by pin 3:29, Rabuck tech falled Corey Zimmerman at the Reedsburg Scramble,
- 120 – Simon Joseph
- 126 – Logan Pollack, 16-2 record, D1 honorable mention according to Wisconsin Wrestling Online, lost to Reedsburg’s Nate Erbs 3-1, Brock Polhamus beat Erbs 5-3 at the Reedsburg Scramble,
- 132 – Luke DuBord, 10-15 record, DNP at Bi-State, has been pinned twice this year by Holmen’s Darius Wright in 45 seconds at Bi-State and 24 seconds in their dual,
- 138 – Dylan Hanson, 3-17 record for Hanson, could also be Syler Roach wrestling here, neither has an impressive record and it will be a weight where Tristan Zurfluh will need to pick up bonus points,
- 145 – Patrick Cullen, 16-9 record, DNP at Bi-State, defeated Reedsburg’s Mack Bautch 1-o, Murnane pinned Bautch in 2:59 at the Reedsburg Scramble,
- 152 – Jacob DuBord, 17-4 record, DNP at Bi-State,
- 160 – Ben Linzmeier, 12-14 record, DNP at Bi-State, wrestled 152 at Tomah Scramble and beat Lancaster’s Alex Withey 7-0, Withey defeated Dillon Erickson 6-5 at the Reedsburg Scramble,
- 170 – Josh Peardot, Peardot has a 4-7 record, or Josh Neal, Neal went 3-1 at the Wausau East Lumberjack duals with two pins. In Tomah’s most recent dual against Hudson, Neal was wrestling at 170 for the Timberwolves, Peardot DNP at Bi-State,
- 182 – Jordan Reisinger, 24-9 record, ranked 14th in D1 according to Wisconsin Wrestling Online, 4th place finish at Bi-State,
- 195 – Garrett Serna, 20-9 record, ranked 14th in D1 according to Wisconsin Wrestling Online, 8th place finish at Bi-State, defeated Lancaster’s Connor Flynn by pin in 2:07, Dawley pinned Flynn in 53 seconds at the Reedsburg Scramble,
- 220 – Lucas Stromberg-Windau, 26-3 record, ranked 4th in D1 according to Wisconsin Wrestling Online, 2nd place finish at Bi-State, won 9-3 against Westby’s Chase Nottestad, Nottestad pinned Chase Bernett in 49 seconds at the Reedsburg Scramble,
- 285 – Ryan Sutherland, 12-10 record, DNP at Bi-State,
It’s pretty clear that by the records and rankings, Tomah’s strength is in their upper weights. They also have Adler at 106 who is kind of an enigma at this point. He’s currently unranked, but started the season ranked 2nd in D1 at 106 and didn’t start wrestling this season until not too long ago. Windau brings the most experience and the highest ranking on the team. Another senior, Jacob Dubord, has proven a stubborn opponent for the Spartans in past duals.
It should be a close one. There will be a live stream of the dual tonight on Spartanwrestling.com. You can also hear it online at MagnumBroadcasting.com or on the radio at 94.5 FM. Go Spartans!!!