Five Spartans were named 1st Team All-Confrence today. John Roddick, Jaden Winchel, Brock Polhamus, Dylan Winchel and Logan Degenhardt all received top honors in the conference. The five matches a team record set during the 1992-93, 1993-94, 2002-03, 2003-04 and 2006-07 seasons. Receiving Second Team honors was Walker Polhamus while honorable mention honors went to Christian Lamon and Logan VanTassel. Of the eight receiving honors, six return for next season.
Spartan head coach Jake Larsen received Coach of the Year honors while Central’s Ben Thornton was named Wrestler of the Year.
If you look at the weight classes among the first and second team and some of the weight classes of the honorable mentions, you’ll notice something. There are a lot of school names right next to each other. Central has 106 through 113 locked down on the first team, Sparta 126 through 145 and Tomah 182 and 195 while Holmen has three of the final four weight classes on the second team. This is a pretty clear indication of how important practice partners are. The harder you are pushed and the better caliber wrestler you face every day in practice goes a long way toward determining how you are going to perform when you face live competition.
For Dylan Winchel and John Roddick, this is their second All-MVC First Team honor. For everyone else, it is their first time receiving the honors. Freshman Jaden Winchel is the first Spartan to earn All-MVC first team honors as a freshman. With his fourth All-MVC honor, Thornton joins fellow Central alum Eric Jetton and Tomah’s Tyler Laudon as the only four-time MVC champions. Hunter Hauser became the 16th three-time MVC champion.
I’ll have another post recapping the final day at state, the season and more coming this week. In the meantime, let’s look at the full roster of All-MVC award winners for the 2013-14 season.
1st Team All-Conference
- 106 – Jaden VanMaanen, Central
- 113 – Josh Kuhse, Central
- 120 – Ben Thornton, Central
- 126 – John Roddick, Sparta
- 132 – Jaden Winchel, Sparta
- 138 – Brock Polhamus, Sparta
- 145 – Dylan Winchel, Sparta
- 152 – Scott Ring, Aquinas
- 160 – Ben Linzmeier, Tomah
- 170 – Duncan McKinney, Holmen
- 182 – Seth Fryett, Tomah
- 195 – Jordan Reisinger, Tomah
- 220 – Logan Degenhardt, Sparta
- 285 – Hunter Hauser, Holmen
2nd Team All-Conference
- 106 – Drake Kulmaczewski, Holmen
- 113 – Nick Burns, Aquinas
- 120 – Nick Houlihan, Logan
- 126 – Hunter Pierce, Tomah
- 132 – Jordan Corcoran, Aquinas
- 138 – Ryan Stalsberg, Holmen
- 145 – Conner Williams, Central
- 152 – Collen Samson, Tomah
- 160 – Konrad Ernst, Onalaska
- 170 – Walker Polhamus, Sparta
- 182 – Jacon Wiemerslage, Holmen
- 195 – Noah Risch, Holmen
- 220 – Calvin Wright, Logan
- 285 – Charles Serauskas, Holmen
Honorable Mention All-Conference
- Aquinas – Emil Walleser, Charlie Fuchsel
- Holmen – Ryan Bennett, Logan Lasack
- Tomah – Logan Pollack, Casey Curran
- Sparta – Christian Lamon, Logan Vantassel
- Central – Jake Obert
- Onalaska – Morgan Mueller, Cameron Robbert, Tyler Wood
- Logan – Adam Bergeron, Cody Larson
- Sparta 6-0
- Holmen 5-1
- Aquinas 3-3
- Logan 3-3
- Tomah 3-3
- Central 1-5
- Onalaska 0-6
Great job guys. Coach Larson is the man!
Awesome Job Jake!!!! See you soon to celebrate.
Awesome job jake
What an awesome year! These photos brought tears to my eyes! Jake; couldn’t be happier for you; you are an amazing coach!
Congratulations Jake and team! It has been a fun year to watch some great tough matches! We are very proud of all of you!
Way to go Sparta! This was a great year and it seems to be getting better every year. To all the wrestlers, congratulations for your continued dedication, discipline and commitment to the sport. I love seeing all of these pictures as it brings a huge smile on my face every time I see something like this as it brings back such awesome memories of the state tournaments and all the hard work the wrestlers put into this. Jake…..Congratulations! Couldn’t be happier for you also! As Mary Ellen says, you are an amazing coach!