Sparta’s fine work at team sectional is not going unnoticed. New individual rankings are out and Sparta now has two top-ranked wrestlers. I believe two top-ranked wrestlers in a program first. Let’s check it out…
- Corey Zimmerman – honorable mention at 106, previously unranked
- Christian Lamon – 4th at 120, previously ranked 5th
- John Roddick – 3rd at 126, no change from previous ranking
- Jaden Winchel, 1st at 132, no change from previous ranking
- Brett VonRuden, honorable mention at 138, no change from previous ranking
- Brock Polhamus, 1st at 145, up one from previous ranking after Two Rivers’ Chris Yauch dropped to 138
- Hayden Krein, 5th at 152, no change from previous ranking
On the team side, Sparta is ranked 8th, which is up two spots from their previous ranking of 10th. These rankings came out the day before team sectionals and the next rankings that Wisconsin Wrestling Online releases will just be of the four division two teams who qualified for team state. Speaking of…
The four teams that qualified for team state in division two are Ellsworth (ranked 3rd), Freedom (ranked 1st), Wisconsin Lutheran (ranked 5th) and Sparta (ranked 8th). Clearly the rankings meant little to the Spartans after they handily dispatched second-ranked Evansville/Albany last night. Pairings are out for team state and the Spartans will waste no time seeing what they’re made of. They are matched up with top-ranked Freedom who were 33-27 winners over both fourth-ranked Two Rivers and seventh-ranked Wittenberg-Birnamwood. Ellsworth defeated sixth-ranked Amery 52-13 and honorable mention Melrose-Mindoro/GET 64-6. Wisconsin Lutheran defeated honorable mention Chilton/Hilbert 57-18 and honorable mention Lomira 41-19.
Sparta’s match with Freedom will be in the morning on Saturday, March 7th at the Field House in Madison, Wisc. Division two action starts at 10 a.m.