With Matt Tourdot’s 7th place finish at this weekend’s National High School Coaches Association’s Senior National Finals, he enters into an elite club of Wisconsin wrestlers to have medaled at this prestigious tournament. Here’s a list of previous Wisconsin medal winners…
- 2003 – Josh Wagner (7th at 130), Sparta’s Trent Brooks lost to Wagner in the 2002 state finals at 119 pounds
- 2004 – Jordan Crass (7th at 125), Craig Henning (2nd at 145) and Dallas Herbst (3rd at 189)
- 2005 – Drew Hammond (7th at 103) and Max Askren (3rd at 189)
- 2006 – Trevor Brandvold (1st at 189)
- 2007 – None
- 2008 – Grant Sutter (6th at 112), Nick Hucke (3rd at 135) and Joe Budi (3rd at 189)
- 2009 – Nick Hager (5th at 140)
- 2010 – Matt Tourdot (7th at 215)
A few guys on the list above have gone onto become NCAA All-Americans and Max Askren was an NCAA champion this year at 184 pounds. It doesn’t guarantee Tourdot success in college, but it shows he is definitely on the right track.
In other news, the La Crosse Tribune recently declared Tourdot the MVC Wrestler of the Year. No surprise there as he was the lone state champion from the conference. To read the article, click here.
The La Crosse Tribune also came out with their All-Tribune wrestling lineup. Matt Tourdot and Brandon Rickert headlined their respective weight classes. Here is what the Tribune had to say about each. First on Rickert…
WHY HE’S HERE: Division 2 state qualifier. … sectional runner-up and regional champion. … fifth at Badger State. … went 4-0 (1 pin, 1 tech. fall, 2 majors) in MVC duals.
And on Tourdot…
WHY HE’S HERE: Division 2 state champ. … high school All-American in freestyle and folkstyle. … Division I Old Dominion recruit. … two-time state place-winner.
Earning honorable mention status on the All-Trib team was Adam Wiedl and Jordan Stanek. To see the full All-Tribune wrestling lineup, click here.