It was a busy night with five Spartan wrestlers competing in division two preliminary action at the Kohl Center Thursday evening and it’s shaping up to be a busy Friday with another five Spartans wrestling in the quarterfinals. Christian Lamon and Hayden Krein, winners Thursday evening, join John Roddick, Jaden Winchel and Brock Polhamus in quarterfinal action starting at 11:15am this morning.
Lamon and Krein weren’t the only Spartans wrestling last night. At 106, Corey Zimmerman dropped a 10-2 decision to Ellsworth’s Owen Matzek, Bret VonRuden fell 9-7 to Mayville’s Dakota Danner and Logan VanTassel dropped a 3-2 decision to Ellsworth’s Tristen Mueller. All three were competitive in their matches, but fell short. Most years, I’d move onto saying something about them finishing the season or their career with XYZ record, but this year, the Spartans wrestle at team state so they have at least another week in front of them to better themselves and their teammates as they prepare for Freedom.
At 120, Christian Lamon won 9-8 in a match that wasn’t as close as the score seemed. Lamon controlled Whitewater’s Irving Sedano (29-15) for much of the match and was dominant on his feet. At 152 pounds, Hayden Krein pinned Luxemburg-Casco’s Seth Peters (35-13) in 3:58, but not without an early scare. Just seconds into the match, Peters locked up Krein in a deep cradle that nearly ended it, but Krein was able to escape and went beast mode after that. After falling down 5-0 in the first minute, Krein picked up a reversal and numerous back points racking up a 13-5 lead before putting Peters to his back and picking up the pin. Krein will now face Sheyboygan Falls’ Sean Mattek while Lamon will wrestle Prescott’s Sam Stuhl.
Some notes on other area wrestlers…
- Onalaska 195-pounder Konrad Ernst won two close decisions. In the prelims, Ernst (36-3) eeked out an 8-6 victory over Wisconsin Rapids Lincoln’s Cody Abel (44-4) and in his quarterfinal bout, won in over time by pin in 6:34 over Union Grove’s previously unbeaten Adam Braley (22-1). Ernst will not wrestle Menomonie’s Mason Stokke.
- La Crosse Central’s Jaden Van Maanen (46-0) is still undefeated and will be wrestling for a spot in the state finals tonight. Van Maanen wasn’t dominant, but he picked up some impressive victories over Badger’s Robby Mutimer (41-6) by a 4-0 score and Kaukauna’s Trent Leon (43-6) by a 7-4 score. Van Maanen will not wrestle Whitnall/Greendale’s Anthony Senthavisouk (39-7) in the semis tonight.
- Holmen’s Charles Serauskas won his first match 13-1, but was pinned in 1:21 in his quarterfinal match against Oconomowoc’s Brett Samson (46-1). Teammate Jonah Rieber ran into a very good wrestlers in Kaukauna’s Robert Lee (41-1) and was pinned in 2:55.
- Tomah’s Hunter Pierce lost 9-0 to New London’s Scott Cook (35-6)
- Central’s Connor Williams dropped a 12-4 decision to Hudson’s Sawyer Massie (42-4).
Division two quarterfinal action begins at 11:15 am. Good luck Spartans!