The first Wisconsin Wrestling Online rankings for the 2014-15 season are here and the Spartans are represented well. As a team, the Spartans are ranked fifth in division two while four Spartans find themselves with individual rankings.
In division two, Ellsworth tops the rankings once again followed by Amery, Evansville/Albany and Two Rivers. Other area teams in the rankings include Cashton as an honorable mention in D3. No other MVC teams appear in the rankings in any division.
On the individual side, senior John Roddick heads the list with the top-ranking at 126 pounds. A two-time state placewinner, Roddick enters the season looking to become Sparta’s first four-time state qualifier. Fellow senior Brock Polhamus will also be looking to join Roddick as Sparta’s only four-time state qualifiers. Last year’s state runner-up at 138 pounds enters the season as the third-ranked wrestler at 145.
At 132 pounds, sophomore Jaden Winchel is ranked third while Christian Lamon rounds out the rankings coming in at seventh at 120 pounds. Let’s look at how individuals from other area teams appear in the rankings…
- Black River Falls (D2) – Nick Raifsnider (HM, 170)
- Cashton (D3) – Dylan Campton (HM, 285)
- Holmen (D1) – Trevor Plomedahl (13th, 106), Ryan Bennett (HM, 132), Charles Serauskas (9th, 285)
- La Crosse Central (D1) – Josh Kuhse (9th, 113), Jaden VanMaanen (7th, 120), Connor Williams (5th, 160)
- La Crosse Logan (D1) – Nick Houlihan (HM, 152)
- Tomah (D1) – Casey Curran (HM, 152)
- Viroqua (D2) – Jansen McClelland (6th, 106), Ryan Vesbach (HM, 120)
- West Salem/Bangor (D2) – Devin Bahr (1st, 145), Nathan Schomberg (HM, 152)
- Westby (D3) – Brett Cade (8th, 132), Ross Withington (2nd, 160)
These should only give you a general idea of where people stand. Many of these wrestlers will be at different weight classes at the end of the year, some won’t be in the rankings and I’m pretty sure there are Spartans wrestling right now who are not currently on this list, but will be by the end of the year. So take it all with a grain of salt. Things will change, but it shows you that it should be another exciting year of Spartan wrestling.
Check out the full team rankings here.