Remember the Bi-State Classic? That 50+ team tournament in La Crosse that the Spartans used to wrestle at? Well that just finished up yesterday and one could glean some interesting observations about future opponents from the tournament. First, we’ll do a quick recap of the area’s top finishers from the 2010 Bi-State Classic…
- Ben Thornton, La Crosse Central, 1st Place at 103
- Cody See, Westby, 1st Place at 119
- Cal Thornton, La Crosse Central, 2nd Place at 135
- Dominic Flock, Cashton, 2nd Place at 152
- James Bennett, Holmen, 2nd Place at 119
- Lucas Shappell, Aquinas, 2nd Place at 215
- Austin Nottestad, Westby, 3rd Place at 160
- Darius Wright, Holmen, 4th Place at 103
- Kyle McKenzie, Logan, 4th Place at 130
- Jimmy Coady, Aquinas, 5th Place at 171
- Michael Keilen, La Crosse Central, 5th Place at 140
- Tyler Von Haden, Tomah, 5th Place at 160
- Ben Fiers, Holmen, 7th Place at 189
- Blade Spindler, La Crosse Central, 7th Place at 112
- Brad Raasch, Westby, 7th Place at 285
Those are the MVC and other area wrestlers who finished in the top seven at the 54 team Bi-State Classic. Top local team finishers included Holmen (5th in D1), Viroqua (4th in D2) and Aquinas (4th in D3). Ellsworth ran away with the team title racking up 323.5 points to finish ahead of Wausau West (286) and Marshfield (220).
The top team finisher in division three, Weston/Ithaca, will be facing Sparta in a dual on Tuesday. Neither Crossface Magazine or Wisconsin Wrestling Online has Weston/Ithaca anywhere in their rankings, which I think is a big mistake. Tuesday’s dual will be a tough one for the Spartans. Here are the top finishers for Weston/Ithaca at Bi-State…
- 125 — Marcus McCauley, 4th Place
- 135 — Nate Duren, 7th Place
- 171 — Mitchell Ricco, 11th Place
- 215 — Clayton Jennings, 5th Place
Up and down Weston/Ithaca’s lineup are a number of solid wrestlers. Based on season records at the conclusion of the Bi-State Classic, it appears the following weights are the weak points in their lineup: 130, 152, 189 and 285. The rest of the weights have records ranging from 11-5 to 16-2. To tell you the truth, the records look a lot like the Spartans. Solid up and down with few weak spots. It should be a great dual Tuesday night.
We are hoping to have a live blog up for the dual so be sure to check back here in the coming days for more information on that as well as information on how the Spartan JV Invite went on Wednesday. Hopefully we will have results from that tournament on Monday.