Sparta travels to Holmen this Saturday to kick off the road to the Kohl Center and will be joined by teams from Baraboo, Holmen, La Crosse Central, La Crosse Logan, Onalaska/Luther, Reedsburg and Tomah. The top-scoring team will then wrestle three days later at team sectionals in Baraboo.
On the year, the Spartans have fared well as a team against the rest of their regional competition.
- At Bi-State, Sparta finished first in division one with 246 points. Holmen was 5th with 182.5, La Crosse Central 11th with 127.5, Tomah 15th with 100, Baraboo 18th with 74 and La Crosse Logan 20th with 33.
- At the Sparta Invitational, Sparta finished first with 169.5 points. Reedsburg was third with 149 and Holmen 8th with 118.
In each of these tournaments, Sparta defeated Holmen with varying degrees of intact rosters. At Bi-State, it was all hands on deck. At the Sparta Invitational, Sparta was missing Hayden Krein, but still handily beat Holmen thanks to a great effort by his brother Mathias Krein. Sparta’s dual against Holmen might have been the first time in awhile that Holmen was fully healthy, but I would still give the edge to the Spartans at the tournament level due to them having stronger individual wrestlers. It will be close either way. Top three teams should be some combination of Sparta, Holmen, Reedsburg and Tomah.
Here’s a look at all the teams in regionals and their ranked wrestlers according to the latest Wisconsin Wrestling Online rankings…
- Baraboo – Pablo Ramirez – HM at 126
- Holmen – Tanner Schultz – 8th at 138, Reed Williams – 11th at 152, Kalyn Jahn – 8th at 160, Isaac Lahr – HM at 170
- La Crosse Central – Jaden Van Maanen – 1st at 152, Connor Williams – 1st at 170
- La Crosse Logan – No ranked wrestlers
- Onalaska/Luther – Houston Dorn – 7th at 285
- Reedsburg – Caden Fry – 7th at 106, Mason McMillen – 5th at 120, Trey Haugen – 12th at 182, Dalton Hahn – 2nd at 195, Brian Brooks – HM at 220
- Sparta – Jon Bailey – 3rd at 113, Jaden Winchel 5th at 145, Brett Von Ruden – HM at 152, Hayden Krein – 1st at 160
- Tomah – Dawson Lambert – HM at 113, Tommy Repka – HM at 132, Hunter Pierce – 7th at 138, Casey Curran – HM at 160
Check back Saturday night for a recap of the regionals and a preview of who the Spartans might face at team sectionals should they leave Holmen as team champions.